Arthur Vierkant (AIM) 12:07 I met Boba Fett on 6th avenue. gogobeatcrazy (AIM) 12:08 dunno who that is Arthur Vierkant (AIM) 12:08 uh, what. gogobeatcrazy (AIM) 12:08 si Arthur Vierkant (AIM) 12:08 You mean to tell me you have never seen Star Wars? gogobeatcrazy (AIM) 12:08 ? what of star wars? Arthur Vierkant (AIM) 12:09 ..Boba Fett. You know. Bounty hunter. in Star Wars. gogobeatcrazy (AIM) 12:09 was it one of the new ones? Arthur Vierkant (AIM) 12:09 No. gogobeatcrazy (AIM) 12:09 i don't remember then again i am totally beyond baked right now
This is the first time I've posted on Livejournal in.. what, forever? I kind of let this thing slide, but I think I'll be checking it more now.
Apparently, this thing has been spreading on The MySpace, where you post a blog and list things you think about a variety of people, but you don't label the name each set of sentences correspond to.
But you can figure it out. Which is kind of the point of my bringing this up. Because apparently, several (well, two) of my friends from home did it, and both of them basically say that I've changed and am a dick now. Honestly, I have more than enough reason to be skeptical of any judgements of character these two could make, but it's quieting nonetheless.
"The highlight of the day, though, has nothing to do with shoddy equipment and everything to do with a crazy voter who attacked a Diebold-brand machine in Allentown, Pennsylvania. Forty-three-year-old Robert Young, a registered independent, apparently believed that the e-voting machines had been deployed in a wild conspiracy by Republicans, and decided to make a statement by smashing the $5,000 device with a metal cat paperweight."
Benjamin Franklin, Advice to a Young Man on the Choice of a Mistress (1745).
June 25, 1745
My dear Friend,
I know of no Medicine fit to diminish the violent natural Inclinations you mention; and if I did, I think I should not communicate it to you. Marriage is the proper Remedy. It is the most natural State of Man, and therefore the State in which you are most likely to find solid Happiness. Your Reasons against entering into it at present, appear to me not well-founded. The circumstantial Advantages you have in View by postponing it, are not only uncertain, but they are small in comparison with that of the Thing itself, the being married and settled. It is the Man and Woman united that make the compleat human Being. Separate, she wants his Force of Body and Strength of Reason; he, her Softness, Sensibility and acute Discernment. Together they are more likely to succeed in the World. A single Man has not nearly the Value he would have in that State of Union. He is an incomplete Animal. He resembles the odd Half of a Pair of Scissars. If you get a prudent healthy Wife, your Industry in your Profession, with her good Economy, will be a Fortune sufficient.
But if you will not take this Counsel, and persist in thinking a Commerce with the Sex inevitable, then I repeat my former Advice, that in all your Amours you should prefer old Women to young ones. You call this a Paradox, and demand my Reasons. They are these:
i. Because as they have more Knowledge of the World and their Minds are better stor'd with Observations, their Conversation is more improving and more lastingly agreable.
2. Because when Women cease to be handsome, they study to be good. To maintain their Influence over Men, they supply the Diminution of Beauty by an Augmentation of Utility. They learn to do a 1000 Services small and great, and are the most tender and useful of all Friends when you are sick. Thus they continue amiable. And hence there is hardly such a thing to be found as an old Woman who is not a good Woman.
3. Because there is no hazard of Children, which irregularly produc'd may be attended with much Inconvenience.
4. Because thro' more Experience, they are more prudent and discreet in conducting an Intrigue to prevent Suspicion. The Commerce with them is therefore safer with regard to your Reputation. And with regard to theirs, if the Affair should happen to be known, considerate People might be rather inclin'd to excuse an old Woman who would kindly take care of a young Man, form his Manners by her good Counsels, and prevent his ruining his Health and Fortune among mercenary Prostitutes.
5. Because in every Animal that walks upright, the Deficiency of the Fluids that fill the Muscles appears first in the highest Part: The Face first grows lank and wrinkled; then the Neck; then the Breast and Arms; the lower Parts continuing to the last as plump as ever: So that covering all above with a Basket, and regarding2 only what is below the Girdle, it is impossible of two Women to know an old from a young one. And as in the dark all Cats are grey, the Pleasure of corporal Enjoyment with an old Woman is at least equal, and frequently superior, every Knack being by Practice capable of Improvement.
6. Because the Sin is less. The debauching a Virgin may be her Ruin, and make her for Life unhappy.
7. Because the Compunction is less. The having made a young Girl miserable may give you frequent bitter Reflections; none of which can attend the making an old Woman happy.
8thly and Lastly They are so grateful!!
Thus much for my Paradox. But still I advise you to marry directly; being sincerely Your affectionate Friend.
Also, I've found that my computer affects me more than caffeine. Even days when I'm tired enough that I should be nodding off, if I load a site or do anything with my laptop I'll be back to alert awakeness.
"Hitler, who was born in Austria, had shown some artistic promise as a schoolboy. His beloved mother, Klara, had died when he was 19 and the following year, 1909, he moved to Vienna confident that he would win a place at the Academy of Arts.
However, when he failed to gain a place, he lived in homeless shelters and ate in charity soup kitchens.
He did some menial jobs and also sold some paintings and drew advertising posters to help make ends meet."
So basically Hitler has the ultimate rags to riches story, and lived the American dream. Sort of.